Wednesday 13 October 2021

What does gaming's all-digital future mean for the climate crisis?

It's not unusual to turn on a console and be greeted by a screen of pending downloads for games you have installed. It happened to me today. Several games needed updating, meaning hundreds of gigabytes of data to download. This didn't particularly bother me. I have an uncapped and relatively speedy internet connection. My primary concerns were exactly how long it would take and how much hard-drive space it would require. What effect all that data would have passing through the network didn't occur to me. I couldn't see it so I wasn't thinking about it.

Do you have any idea how much internet data you use a month? I found this surprisingly hard to find. In a subsection of my TalkTalk account I found a graph charting the last seven days of my internet use, and it told me I used approximately 109GB of data. That seems neither high nor low to me as someone who writes about games and works from home. I could easily increase it.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're away Reply You ASAP!

Featured post

Bennet, Hickenlooper, Polis Welcome Over $88 Million in Federal Transportation Grants for Colorado Projects

Washington, D.C. — Colorado U.S. Senators Michael Bennet and John Hickenlooper alongside Colorado Governor Jared Polis welcomed over $88 mil...